Re: variables as nodes? (re: XML Binding Format)

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:32:13 +0000
To: Yoshio FUKUSHIGE <fuku@w3.org>
Cc: 'RDF Data Access Working Group' <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 03:28 +0900, Yoshio FUKUSHIGE wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I may reopen the already discussed over thing,
> but I feel very puzzled to see the variable names
> used as the node names in the XML binding format,
> i.e. in <result></result> part.
>
> Are all the (possible) variable names adequate as
> the node name?
>
> Can we have variables with such names as
> "result", "head", ...?
>
> At least, in the examples in the XML Format document,
> the variable names seem to belong to the same name space
> as the "result", "head" thing:
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rf1/result.

That's a good point that I hadn't considered before.  The variable names
can be the same as the element names and they are in the same namespace.
If we were continuing along this design, it might be better to have two
namespaces, one for the element names and one for the user (variable)
names.

> Sorry for asking such question at this time of the year,
> but I prefer  <var name="foo"></var>-ish  thing.

OK, noted.

Dave