Re: UNSAID - two test cases (dawg:unbound, issues#useMentionOp)

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:53:47 -0800
To: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Cc: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

>On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 05:26:01PM +0000, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>>  >Yes, but SQL for eg. has tri-value logic (true, false and NULL), so you
>>  >can meaningfully apply operators and functions to unbound values (NULL).
>>
>>  It doesn't quite work out that simply.  It's fine for operators and
>>  functions but pattern matching isn't so straight forward.
>>
>>  OPTIONAL (<x> ?p ?o)
>>   (?o ?q <y>)
>>
>>  so ?o may be NULL then we have the (?o ?q <y>) and it needs to handle
>>  ?o = NULL differently.  NULL is different.
>
>Yes, bun in RDF you cant have a triple like (NULL ?q <y>), so that match
>will always fail. Unless I'm missing something.

Er...seems to me that you are missing a use/mention confusion. NULL
here is supposed to be a value (right?), not a piece of syntax. So
what does it even mean to put NULL into a triple? Or are you
suggesting that 'NULL' - that is an actual piece of syntax, a
four-letter character string - is used as a kind of dummy binding to
stand for the binding in cases where a variable doesn't have a
binding? If so, I think this really is a very bad idea. All sorts of
problems will arise right away: eg two different unbound variables
will be the same. It would be much better to simply leave the
variable in the pattern in cases like this.

>  > Talking about NULLs, with all it special cases for matching and function
>>  handling, like NULL != NULL, is no different to talking about unbound
>>  variables.  Both need special handling.
>
>There are no special cases. Any arithemtic operation involving NULL is
>NULL, so NULL == NULL is NULL, NULL > 3 is NULL, ...

Does NULL match NULL? If ?x and ?y are both bound to NULL, are the
bindings the same? And so on.

Pat

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell