Re: UNSAID - two test cases (dawg:unbound, issues#useMentionOp)

Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 05:26:01PM +0000, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>
>>>Yes, but SQL for eg. has tri-value logic (true, false and NULL), so you
>>>can meaningfully apply operators and functions to unbound values (NULL).
>>
>>It doesn't quite work out that simply.  It's fine for operators and
>>functions but pattern matching isn't so straight forward.
>>
>>OPTIONAL (<x> ?p ?o)
>> (?o ?q <y>)
>>
>>so ?o may be NULL then we have the (?o ?q <y>) and it needs to handle
>>?o = NULL differently.  NULL is different.
>

> Yes, bun in RDF you cant have a triple like (NULL ?q <y>), so that match
> will always fail. Unless I'm missing something.

So if (NULL, ?q <y>) does not match then

OPTIONAL (<x> ?p ?o)
(?o ?q <y>)

fails when there is no (<x> ?p ?o). It's as if there is no optional on the
first triple pattern.

The reverse,

OPTIONAL (<x> ?p ?o)

will work as an optional.

Hence, NULL has to be handled specially and whether we talk about NULLs or
unbound variables, they are both handled differently (procedurally and
declaratively).

	Andy