Re: tests and inference? (and UNSAID)

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 09:01:05 -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:
> > My engine has no way to turn off inference (though it wouldn't be hard to
> > add globaly), but I'd like it if that was possible on a per-statement way
> > via the query language.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean; it makes more sense, to me, to specify what
> you're querying against in the FROM clause. If we wanted explicit
> support for "turning RDFS inferencing off" in SPARQL, I'd expect it
> to look something like:
>
> 	SELECT ?C FROM rdfs(<mydata.rdf>) WHERE ( :x rdf:type ?C).
> vs.
> 	SELECT ?C FROM <mydata.rdf> WHERE ( :x rdf:type ?C).

[turning off wasn't really what I was thinking of, but I cant think of a
better term, ignoring maybe]

OK, well I would expect it to look more like

	SELECT ?C WHERE GROUND (:x rdf:type ?C)

I dont really like FROM as it doesn't make much sense in server-like
systems where all the graphs are preloaded (for performance or security
reasons), or systems that are reflecting underlying data in another format
and translating queries on the fly.