Re: tests and inference?

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:17:12 +0000
To: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 10:09:19 -0500, Kendall Clark wrote:
> My point about the Sparql spec is that it doesn't help a person who
> wants to figure out why all of her tests are failing because her
> triple store defaultedly does RDFS inference (say) on all graphs. In
> fact, if there's nothing in the test suite about this issue, and a
> person goes and looks at the Sparql spec, the language about
> orthogonality of inference and query misleads *further*.

Thats true, but none of the test results we have approved so far alter if
you have RDFS inference on. I hoped that was deliberate.

My engine has no way to turn off inference (though it wouldn't be hard to
add globaly), but I'd like it if that was possible on a per-statement way
via the query language.