Re: literals as numbers (Was: Re: Comments on SPARQL draft)

From: Janne Saarela <janne.saarela@profium.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 12:46:32 +0200
To: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

Seaborne, Andy wrote:
> Theer are two separate issues: matching in triple patterns and testing
> in comparisions.  Alberto illustrates the matching.  My opinion is that
> "47"^^xsd:integer and "47" do not represent the same value and so do not
> match in triple patterns and this is a reasonable expectation to the
> application writer.
>

> The plain literal case is more about comparison:
>
> ========== Data
>
> :x :prop "47" .
>
> ========== Query
>
> SELECT ?x WHERE (?x :prop ?v) AND ?v > 40

Ok, I think this is what I was looking for.

If SPARQL says it is forbidden to map plain literals
to typed literals, the query would never return
bindings for the given data above.

If SPARQL says it is optional for the implementation
to map plain literals to typed literals, the query might
return bindings for the given data above.

I think interoperability suffers via the optional route
and would be in favor of forbidding the mapping for plain literals.

Janne
--
Janne Saarela <janne.saarela at profium.com>
Profium, Lars Sonckin kaari 12, 02600 Espoo, Finland