Comments from SWBP&D WG

From: Tom Adams <tom@tucanatech.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:19:48 -0400
To: DAWG list <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

The best practices group is also drafting a formal WG response to Dan's
earlier query, but in the meantime a member has posted a relevant
response:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2004Oct/0006.html

A useful part for our protocol discussion is:

"Two things are mentioned early. 1) A query language 2) a data access
protocol. The DAP seems to be necessary for clients to talk to servers.
Generally, I would keep the two unbound so that they can change
independently as needed. There is not much discussion of the DAP,
specifically whether it is a transport/wire protocol (like HTTP, IIOP,
etc.) or some higher level protocol. This distinction is key. I would
strongly recommened not to create a new wire-protocol like IIOP which
could have a similar fate. HTTP is a best practice, in my opinion and
should be considered as a transport protocol. Ideally, the transport
would be extracted from a uri scheme (e.g. http://, tcp://, udp://, )."

For what it's worth, I agree that we need a HTTP based transport,
though have no comments on what messaging format we choose (well, at
present).

Cheers,
Tom
--
Tom Adams                  | Tucana Technologies, Inc.
Support Engineer           |   Office: +1 703 871 5312