W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-rdf-dawg@w3.org > July to September 2004

Minutes of RDF DAWG telecon 2004-09-28

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:20:03 +0100
To: RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>
Message-ID: <20040928222003.2bb93ca8@hedwig.dajobe.org>

Minutes of RDF DAWG teleconference 2004-09-28T14:30Z for review

Agenda:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0539.html

IRC log:
http://www.w3.org/2004/09/28-dawg-irc

Scribe: Dave Beckett


1. Convene, take roll, review record  

Scribe: 

Present:
   Dave Beckett
   Kendall Clark
   Dan Connolly
   Jos De Roo
   Yoshio Fukushige
   Steve Harris
   Pat Hayes
   Howard Katz
   Eric Prud'hommeaux
   Simon Raboczi
   Alberto Reggiori
   Hiroyuki Sato
   Andy Seaborne

Regrets:
   Tom Adams
   Janne Sarela

RESOLVED: to accept meeting record 16-17 Sep 2004 in Bristol, UK
 http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/ftf3-brs
 1.42  2004/09/22 16:35:57
with amendment pointing to the live editing notes presented by AndyS.

  The notes arrived in email after the telcon:
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0561.html


The previous telcon was 2004-09-07.  Minutes at
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0482.html


Next meeting 2004-10-05 14:30 UTC
Regrets: DanC, JosD
Chair: EricP
Scribe: JanneS


2.  Introduction and abstract (name, marketing)

ACTION EricP: set up a naming poll using WBS
done: http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35463/DAWG-QL-name/

ACTION AndyS Change the name to SPARQL, keeping the name issue open in
  rq23.  Remove other name choices.

ACTION KendallC: work on an abstract for the spec
done: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0557.html


3. issue: SOURCE

ACTION SteveH: test cases (10 or so) re: current SOURCE design.

Some work done at
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0549.html
CONTINUED

ACTION AlbertoR: real test cases re: current SOURCE design.
CONTINUED

ACTION AndyS: make test case available as it
distinguishes between two designs of implementing source.
done: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0541.html

ACTION AlbertoR: (with SteveH) edit the examples in
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0327.html
into test cases (either positive or negative tests)
CONTINUED

ACTION DaveB: Update the source section 9, add
more formal links, update the examples, try to think about extra
constraints as EricP proposed (SOURCE ?s and ?s only in in
SELECT). Look at various people's source test cases.
CONTINUED

The rq23 editors were inclined to publish section 9 dealing with
SOURCE as it is now written, for the first public WD.

Discussions of the definitions of the terms and duplicates in query
results.  Query Solution isn't explicit that it is a set (if it is).


4. Toward 1st spec WD

ACTION Dirk: provide details about DB interfaces, re
? and $ ("usual suspects which are troublesome; postgress, oracle,
dbi, jdbc, odbc and the connections to java, perl, c++ et.al.")
CONTINUED

ACTION AndyS: fix def'ns in sect 2 up to 2.2
done

ACTION AndyS: (with EricP) update QL spec draft by 1 Oct
done

ACTION SteveH: review updated spec and advise WG on whether to
publish as 1st WD
CONTINUED

ACTION DaveB: review updated spec and advise WG on whether to publish
as 1st WD
CONTINUED

ACTION HowardK: review updated spec and advise WG on whether to
publish as 1st WD
CONTINUED


The editors expect to have a draft of rq23 for WG review by end of
working day UK Time, Friday 1 October.



5. Web Service Constraints etc.

ACTION DanC: tell semweb CG that the UDDI action was dropped
(DONE)

ACTION KendallC: investigate
overlap between RDF query and web service constraints.
done: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0553.html

ACTION EricP: draft UC on overlap between RDF query and web service
constraints with respect to WS-Policy


6. Toward updated Use Cases & Requirements WD

ACTION KendallC: add DI use case.
CONTINUED

ACTION SteveH: send mail about the signage project
CONTINUED

ACTION KendallC: provided updated UC&R as
candidate for publication. [due in the next 2 to 3 weeks, in time to
get the WG to decide on 5 Oct]
CONTINUED

KendallC expects to add several use cases (time permitting) that have
appeared including identity management, DI, the RDF query/WS one
(after EricP's action item 5), and one after email from danbri.

ACTION PatH: Review UC&R draft appearing around Oct1, for Oct5 telcon


7. ftf meeting schedule

ACTION KendallC: put together a proposal to host a WG ftf meeting in the
Washington, DC area.
done http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0514.html

ACTION JanneS: put together a proposal to host a WG ftf meeting in the
Hensinki, Finland area.
done http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0513.html

ACTION SteveH: put together a proposal to host a WG ftf meeting in the
UK.
done: SteveH verbally offered to host.


A discussion then a straw poll on preferences was held.

RESOLVED DAWG F2F4 will be held 19-20 January 2005 Espo, Finland
hosted by Profium as offered in
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0513.html 


ACTION EricP: find logistics re F2F5 at tech plenary in Boston March
28 Feb - 4 Mar (2 days).  Some WG preference to Mon/Tue of that week.



8. Issues

ACTION DanC: add issue 'design of disjunction' (DONE in 1.14)
ACTION DanC: add new issue 'eddie number of bindings vs. number of
graphs'. (DONE in 1.16)
ACTION DanC: add ISSUE:
collection or container member accessor. (DONE in 1.17)
ACTION DanC: add a pointer to the issues list to the DAWG home page.
(DONE in 1.95)
ACTION DanC: add issue: protocol URIs are for services or for
document/graph/models? (DONE in 1.17)


ACTION DanC: talk with Kendall about issues list maintenance
ACTION SteveH: owns issue 'nested optionals'
ACTION AlbertoR: owns issue 'DESCRIBE'
ACTION DanC: owner of issue 'yes or no questions'
ACTION SteveH: own (i.e. propose resolution to)
disjunction issue

all CONTINUED



9. Protocol


ACTION KendallC: expose our walking tour data to darq
    querying clients
ETA before F2F4
CONTINUED

ACTION KendallC: talk to creative commons people
    about an RDF query interface to their search service.
ETA 1-2 weeks
CONTINUED

ACTION KendallC: put xml format up somewhere public, mail a pointer
done: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0554.html

ACTION DaveB: draft XML query results format spec.
done: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0556.html

Discussion of this format and tradeoffs.  Missing bits included XML
literal example, empty literal vs missing binding.  Further
discussion of blank nodes in results and possible issue of
constraining variable names to be XML happy; they already are in rq23
grammar (XML NCName).

It was noted this was one of two result formats - variable bindings
and rdf graphs.  The latter have a recommended syntax RDF/XML and
others that also can be used.  Need a format for the former - this
action, however it was requested that this might be returned as RDF
triples, like the RDF schema for the query test results.  CONSTRUCT
only returns graphs.  ASK returns a boolean, and also should have a
format YES/NO, 1/0 for use without a protocol.

ACTION EricP: follow up on " if we send a query to the document
rather than service, we loose some of the document compositibility
possibilities" in email (from http://w3.org/2004/09/17-dawg-irc)
CONTINUED

ACTION KendallC: write a protocol document draft (est delivery in 1
month).
Work proceeding on this but not yet ready for review.
CONTINUED


ADJOURNED 15:56UTC
Next meeting 5 Oct 14:30UTC
Received on Tuesday, 28 September 2004 21:20:37 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 26 March 2013 16:15:20 GMT