Re: variables prefix - ?variable vs. $variable

From: Kendall Clark <kendall@monkeyfist.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:35:01 -0400
To: Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
Cc: "Seaborne, Andy" <andy.seaborne@hp.com>, Alberto Reggiori <alberto@asemantics.com>, RDF Data Access Working Group <public-rdf-dawg@w3.org>

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 04:37:37AM -0700, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Seaborne, Andy wrote:
>
> > SQL queries can contain ? in other places such as literals.  Presumably use
> > of SQL interface placeholders are determined by some level of parsing, else
>
> The issue is that the ? is always handled at the client/language side of
> the *DBC connection. And hence very hard to escape; Using the likes of %,
> !, ~, $ |, ^, & is a lot safer as it is handled on the server side.

I really hope that we don't make core syntax decisions based solely on
this *kind* of consideration. Yes, Java is an important implementation
platform; but this seems an awful reason *by itself* to use something
other than "?" to prefix variables.

Just my 2 cents. I prefer "?x" to any of the alternatives.

Kendall Clark