Re: Objective 4.6 -- additional semantic information

On 10 Jun 2004, at 01:59, Rob Shearer wrote:
> I think that a very valid objective is to try to make this query
> language the basis of querying for the entire semantic stack, which
> uses RDF as its data model. All these other languages will do nothing
> but describe RDF data models (without necessarily explicitly
> instantiating those data models), so it makes sense for a query
> language which asks questions about RDF data models to be relevent to
> all those other languages.

I pretty much agree (if I understand well) : the (logic-based)
*SEMANTICS* of the query language should be compatible with the common
semantics to all these data models: RDF. All the layers (RDFS, OWL-lite
to OWL-full, SWRL, etc) are all built on top of RDF. What we probably
should do in this working group is to provide the practicalities and
the procedures only for the bottom layers up to RDFS. This is because
the "graph matching procedural semantics" (forgive me for the
sloppyness) is equivalent to the logic-based one only when the minimal
model property holds -- see my other email.

cheers
--e.

Enrico Franconi                  - franconi@inf.unibz.it
Free University of Bozen-Bolzano - http://www.inf.unibz.it/~franconi/
Faculty of Computer Science      - Phone: (+39) 0471-016-120
I-39100 Bozen-Bolzano BZ, Italy  - Fax:   (+39) 0471-016-129