Re: New use case - RDFS/OWL related

From: Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@asemantics.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:44:00 +0200
Cc: "Seaborne, Andy" <andy.seaborne@hp.com>, public-rdf-dawg@w3.org
To: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>

On Jun 8, 2004, at 2:51 PM, Jim Hendler wrote:

>  I think you missed the intent of my message - I tried to be  clear
> that I was NOT talking about an open ended query -- I would not be
> going to CYC and saying tell me what you know about cats, I would be
> going to a graph and querying forthe bindings for a query something
> like this
..snup..
>    Query the CYC graph for the pattern in which cat has a CLASSTYPE
> (subclassof or equivalentClass)
> of a restriction class and return to me the names of what PROPerties
> the restriction is on, what OWLterm the restriction uses (AllValues,
> SomeValues, etc.) and what the RESTriction is.
..snup..
>   In practice I might do something different than this (perhaps
> multiple queries for specific combinations as I needed them), but in
> every case I am asking for specific properties of specific entities
> from an RDF graph - in my opinion, this capability is why I devoted so
> much of my past few years to making OWL an RDF language -- if I just
> wanted to query documents, I would have agreed that an XML syntax was
> sufficient -- but for linking and processing OWL, I want to use the
> URIs and the graph
>  As far as 3.6 goes, I guess I could use optional features in the
> above, I was thinking of multiple queries myself, but could go either
> way ...

Query, and returning a (partial) tree from a certain point on is one
thing - Querying multiple times as in "over -time-" and/or as the
result of a previous query and looking at the aggregate result set is
quite another - as you then suddenly are into transactions, locking and
consistancy issues if the database is live; i.e. changes under your
feet.

Sofar the emphasis on a 'one query' one answer has very much reasures
me - and stayed well away of the usual rat holes.

Dw