Re: New use case - RDFS/OWL related

At 21:44 +0200 6/13/04, Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
>On Jun 8, 2004, at 2:51 PM, Jim Hendler wrote:
>
>>   I think you missed the intent of my message - I tried to be
>>clear that I was NOT talking about an open ended query -- I would
>>not be going to CYC and saying tell me what you know about cats, I
>>would be going to a graph and querying forthe bindings for a query
>>something like this
>..snup..
>>     Query the CYC graph for the pattern in which cat has a
>>CLASSTYPE (subclassof or equivalentClass)
>>  of a restriction class and return to me the names of what
>>PROPerties the restriction is on, what OWLterm the restriction uses
>>(AllValues, SomeValues, etc.) and what the RESTriction is.
>..snup..
>>    In practice I might do something different than this (perhaps
>>multiple queries for specific combinations as I needed them), but
>>in every case I am asking for specific properties of specific
>>entities from an RDF graph - in my opinion, this capability is why
>>I devoted so much of my past few years to making OWL an RDF
>>language -- if I just wanted to query documents, I would have
>>agreed that an XML syntax was sufficient -- but for linking and
>>processing OWL, I want to use the URIs and the graph
>>   As far as 3.6 goes, I guess I could use optional features in the
>>above, I was thinking of multiple queries myself, but could go
>>either way ...
>
>Query, and returning a (partial) tree from a certain point on is one
>thing - Querying multiple times as in "over -time-" and/or as the
>result of a previous query and looking at the aggregate result set
>is quite another - as you then suddenly are into transactions,
>locking and consistancy issues if the database is live; i.e. changes
>under your feet.
>
>Sofar the emphasis on a 'one query' one answer has very much
>reasures me - and stayed well away of the usual rat holes.
>
>Dw

I wasn't talking about multiple queries over time - although these
are slow changing documents in the main so it woudln't worry me - I
meant submitting multiple query patterns for each of the things I
wish to check for -- thus, if a new foaf implementation wants to know
if, for example, DNA-Checksum is owl:inverseFunctional or not, that's
just a single query for a single result -- which is why this use case
is important, it reminds people that dereferencing RDFS (and OWL)
relations is basically just an RDF query - which is a major benefit
of RDFS
--
Professor James Hendler			  http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler
Univ of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742	  240-277-3388 (Cell)