RE: agenda: 8 Apr RDF Data Access WG teleconference (fun with people, places, and timezones)

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 16:39, Howard Katz wrote:
> To double-check: We've just gone to Daylight Savings Time, so that's 8:30 am
> on the West Coast, 11:30 am in Boston?

I don't trust myself to do this sort of calculation, and it's hardly
fair for me to do it for one WG member without doing it for everybody.
So let's get the machine to do it, shall we?

I trust myself to find the name of a nearby city or airport from contact
information WG members gave in their introductions. I stuck that on the
WG homepage:

[[
  * Agfa-Gevaert N. V.
      * Jos De Roo (intro. near Bruxelles, Belgium)
      * Dirk Colaert, Agfa-Gevaert N. V. (intro near Bruxelles, Belgium)
  * Asemantics S.R.L.
      * Alberto Reggiori, (intro. near Milan, Italy)
]]
 -- http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/#who

And I scraped that using
  http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/grokWho.xsl
and out comes...

[[
  <foaf:Person r:ID="JosD">
    <foaf:surName>De Roo</foaf:surName>
    <foaf:nick>JosD</foaf:nick>
    <k:objectFoundInLocation>
      <k:City>
        <map:cityName>Bruxelles</map:cityName>
        <k:inRegion>
          <k:Country>
            <map:countryName>Belgium</map:countryName>
          </k:Country>
        </k:inRegion>
      </k:City>
    </k:objectFoundInLocation>
  </foaf:Person>
  <foaf:Person r:ID="AndyS">
    <foaf:surName>Seaborne</foaf:surName>
    <foaf:nick>AndyS</foaf:nick>
    <k:objectFoundInLocation>
      <k:Airport-Physical r:about="#BRS_Airport">
        <apt:iataCode>BRS</apt:iataCode>
      </k:Airport-Physical>
    </k:objectFoundInLocation>
  </foaf:Person>

]]

then I use some rules I wrote a while ago to do screen-scraping
from weatherunderground.com
  http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/pim/cityLookup.n3
to map place names to timezones (and lat/long). So now we have...

[[[
    <,who.rdf#AlbertoR>     a <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Person>;
         :objectFoundInLocation  [
             a :City;
             :inRegion Rome:tz,
                     [
                 a :Country;
                 map:countryName "Italy" ];
             cityl:formVal "Milan%2CItaly";
             cityl:weatherPage
<http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Milan%2CItaly>;
             map:cityName "Milan";
             geo:lat "45.61999893";
             geo:long "8.72999954" ];
         <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/nick> "AlbertoR";
         <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/surName> "Reggiori" .
]]]

Then I wrote some rules
  http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/telconLocalTimes.n3
to map the telcon time
 "2004-04-08T15:30-17:00Z"
to the address of a page with local times all over the world...
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=08&month=04&year=2004&hour=15&min=30&sec=0
and to scrape the local times for the various timezones,
and out comes:

[[[

      [      tlt:localTime  (
            "Brussels"
            "Thu 5:30 PM"  ),
                     (
            "Chicago"
            "Thu 10:30 AM"  ),
                     (
            "Helsinki"
            "Thu 6:30 PM"  ),
                     (
            "London"
            "Thu 4:30 PM"  ),
                     (
            "Paris"
            "Thu 5:30 PM"  ),
                     (
            "Rome"
            "Thu 5:30 PM"  ),
                     (
            "Vancouver"
            "Thu 8:30 AM"  );
             tlt:startTimePage
<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=08&month=04&year=2004&hour=15&min=30&sec=0>;
             cal:dtstart  [
                 cal:dateTime "2004-04-08T15:30-17:00Z" ] ].
]]]

Now weatherunderground doesn't grok Roberts Creek, BC, so
I rounded off to Vancouver airport (YMX).

So yes, that's 8:30 am on the West Coast.

(details on how all the above magic happens are in  the makefile:
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/Makefile )

I think there's a use case or two in there: I'd sure rather
use RDF data access technology than regexp-scraping out of HTML
for the weatherunderground mapping from placenames to lat/long
and timezone and for the timeanddate.com mapping from UTC
time to time in various cities around the world.

> >  Thursday 15:30-17:00 UTC 8 Apr 2004 for 60 to 90 minutes
> >  Zakim Bridge +1.617.761.6200, conference 7333 ("RDFD")>

see you at the WWW2004 in NY 17-22 May?