Re: Further comment on SPARQL 1.1 Test Cases

From: Axel Polleres <axel@polleres.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 06:22:29 +0200
To: public-rdf-dawg-comments Comments <public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org>, rvesse@dotnetrdf.org
Hi Rob,

This is a joint response to

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2012Sep/0024.html

and

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2012Sep/0025.html

First of all, thanks for your concrete editorial suggestions! We have implemented them as follows:

1) We have adapted your editorial suggestion in Update:

--------------------------
Variables in QuadDatas are disallowed in INSERT DATA requests
(see Note 8 in the grammar). That is, the INSERT DATA statement
only allows to insert ground triples. Blank nodes in QuadData
are assumed to be disjoint from the blank nodes in the Graph Store,
i.e., will be inserted with "fresh"  blank nodes.
--------------------------

2) We have edited Note 10. in the Grammar

   http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/query-1.1/rq25.xml#sparqlGrammar

and collected all issues about blank node usage in update and query requests in one place in section

http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/query-1.1/rq25.xml#grammarBNodes

now.

Please note that the further text you proposes, namely

"users should note that distinct fresh blank nodes will be generated for each usage in each block."

disagrees with what we had discussed in thread [1], that is, shared blank nodes across QuadPatterns within the same INSERT DATA operation are allowed and behave similar as in test case http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/tests/data-sparql11/basic-update/manifest#insert-05a. The group is currently discussing adding more test cases making the intended behavior more explicit.

We hope this answers your concerns and would appreciate a response to the list acknowledging this.

Thanks, Axel, on behalf of the SPARQL WG.

1. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2012AprJun/0163.html