Re: Whitespace should be allowed before and after a Query or Update

From: Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 15:04:55 +0100
To: public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org

On 25/05/12 20:07, David Booth wrote:
> I mention this because one SPARQL server that I just tried barfed on a
> query that began with a comment, which seem rather unfriendly.

Have you provided feedback to the implementers?

> When I checked the SPARQL spec I see that section 19.4 says that
> comments are treated as white space
> http://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/#grammarComments
> but the discussion of whitespace in sec 19.3
> http://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/#whitespace
> says that whitespace is used to *separate* two terminals.

Partial quote : it goes on to say:

"""
which would otherwise be (mis-)recognized as one
terminal. Rule names below in capitals indicate where white space is
significant; these form a possible choice of terminals for constructing
a SPARQL parser. White space is significant in strings.
"""

i.e. WS may be needed in certain places to get the right tokens and is
significant inside terminals.

For example (SPARQL 1.0)

a:bc:de:f .

Is it:

a:b  c:d  e:f .

or

a:bc  :  de:f .

or something else.

> Thus AFAICT, as currently written the spec currently forbids whitespace
> before and after a Query or Update, which certainly seems wrong, as
> whitespace (or comments) should be allowed both before and after.

I've added

"Otherwise, white space is ignored between tokens."

> Thanks!

	Andy