Whitespace should be allowed before and after a Query or Update

From: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 15:07:27 -0400
To: public-rdf-dawg-comments <public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org>
I mention this because one SPARQL server that I just tried barfed on a
query that began with a comment, which seem rather unfriendly.

When I checked the SPARQL spec I see that section 19.4 says that
comments are treated as white space
http://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/#grammarComments
but the discussion of whitespace in sec 19.3
http://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-query/#whitespace
says that whitespace is used to *separate* two terminals.

Thus AFAICT, as currently written the spec currently forbids whitespace
before and after a Query or Update, which certainly seems wrong, as
whitespace (or comments) should be allowed both before and after.

Thanks!

--
David Booth, Ph.D.
http://dbooth.org/