Re: NVL, LET, COALESCE, CASE

From: Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2011 09:06:32 +0200
Cc: <public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org>
To: Jacek Gajek <jacek.s.gajek@gmail.com>
Dear Jacek,

First of all, apologies that we have overlooked to reply earlier.

As you can check in the SPARQL1.1 Query Language Last Call working draft
at http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-sparql11-query-20110512/ the working group
will both include COALESCE and IF which should be sufficient to address
your use cases, see

 http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-sparql11-query-20110512/#func-coalesce
 http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-sparql11-query-20110512/#func-if

As for assignment (LET) this feature will be available as well, but using a
slightly different syntax. Your example

 LET ?x=expr1, ?y=expr2
 {
   // use ?x, ?y (as literals exclusively of course)
 }

will rather look as follows

 {  BIND (expr1 AS ?x) BIND (expr2 AS ?y)
    // use ?x, ?y
 }

Please refer to http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-sparql11-query-20110512/#assignment for details.

We don't plan to include a CASE statement at this time.

Please respond indicating whether you feel this response has adequately answered your comment.

with best regards,

Axel, on behalf of the SPARQL-WG