Re: HTTP DELETE operation

On Wednesday 20. October 2010 17:03:54 Chimezie Ogbuji wrote:
> On 10/20/10 10:48 AM, "Kjetil Kjernsmo" <kjetil@kjernsmo.net> wrote:
> > 1) If the <graph_uri> does not exist before the deletion, do I have to
> > return a 404?
>
> Yes.  The last paragraph of section 5 is meant to apply to all the
> operations regarding both 404 and 204:

OK!

> "If existing RDF knowledge is modified, either the 200 (OK) or 204 (No
> Content) response codes SHOULD be sent to indicate successful completion
> of the request [..] If the RDF knowledge identified in the request does
> not exist in the server, and the operation requires that it does, a 404
> (Not Found) response code SHOULD be provided in the response."
>
> DELETE requests require the existence of the resource it is addressing,
> so a 404 needs to be returned.

Then I think the specification should say so explicitly, as it is only
clear from knowledge of the usage of DROP without SILENT that the default
behaviour of the suggested query is to return an error.

> > 2) Why can I only return a 200, and not a 204 if successful?
>
> See above.

This will certainly create confusion, most readers will regard the sentence
in 5.2 as an override of that in 5.

Best,

Kjetil
--