Re: Unexpected DISTINCT?

From: Richard Newman <rnewman@franz.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 14:22:01 -0700
Cc: "Lee Feigenbaum" <feigenbl@us.ibm.com>, public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org
To: "Andrew Newman" <andrewfnewman@gmail.com>

>> In the absence of the DISTINCT or REDUCED keywords, the specification
>> gives a precise cardinality for the solutions that appear in the
>> solution
>> sequence.
>
> Does this mean the DISTINCT part of the SPARQL specification is
> incorrect? It says:
> "The solution sequence with no DISTINCT or REDUCED modifier may
> include duplicate solutions"
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query/#modDistinct

It's probably more accurate to say "might" rather than "may", in that
it depends on the data. If run against a certain dataset:

- DISTINCT is well-defined (no duplicates)
- neither DISTINCT nor REDUCED: well-defined (duplicates if the data
includes duplicates)
- REDUCED: implementation-defined (might have duplicates).

-R

P.S., thank you for your response, Lee. I hadn't spotted REDUCED before.