Re: SPARQL: which features now, which features later for RDF Data Access?

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 10:57:02 -0500
To: public-rdf-dawg-comments@w3.org, Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>

> Hmmm... I don't see a requirement for the query language
> to support arbitrary typed literals, stated either explicitly
> or subsumed by a requirement for the query language to
> allow matching of any RDF triple.

The closest thing is perhaps...

"3.1 RDF Graph Pattern Matching—Conjunction
The query language must include the capability to restrict matches on a
queried graph by providing a graph pattern, which consists of one or
more RDF triple patterns, to be satisfied in a query."
 -- http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-rdf-dawg-uc-20050325/#r3.1

> I know that SPARQL presently provides for arbitrary
> typed literals, but it would still be good to see this
> requirement spelled out explicitly.
>
> Or perhaps I just missed it...?

Perhaps 3.1 is explicit enough?

You're more than welcome to continue to review design documents to
be sure they meet the arbitrary-types requirement... I don't see
much value in stating it explicitly in the requirements document
at this point in the process; it seems like just good hygiene. Do you have
a use case in mind that motivates support for arbitrary typed literals?
An important use case might make stating the requirement explicitly
seem more valuable.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E