Re: UNSAID drafted and mapped to SQL

This issue of UNSAID is really much bigger than SPARQL -- it affects a
significant
fraction of Web users.  If my understanding is correct, all of the
RuleML users
will be taking the Deductive Database / SQL mindset,  which assumes
closed world
semantics.

The key part of the discussion involves whether or not a system can
trust/assume
that closed world semantics applies to some graph / RDF dataset.  While its
certainly the case that nothing in RDF sanctions that assumption, only a
small
amount of machinery is needed,  namely; named graphs and a single predicate
that can assert that a particular graph has closed-world semantics.
Possibly,
the predicate would be more specific, asserting that a particular property
(and its subproperties) are closed within the named graph.

On the other hand, until named graphs become officially blessed (instead
of just
something that everyone recognizes would be a major step forward) this
solution might not be viable for SPARQL.  On the other hand, our
implementation
of SPARQL includes UNSAID already -- no sense in waiting around for
what will inevitably arrive sooner or later..

Cheers, Bob

--

Bob MacGregor
Chief Scientist