TriG being disjoint from Turtle

On 05/17/2013 06:00 AM, Jan Wielemaker wrote:
> On 05/17/2013 11:49 AM, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>
> [this fragment is from Charles Greer, not answered by Andy]
>
>> 1.  Could the spec be modified to allow TriG to be a superset of
>> turtle?  Specifically, could the production rules be modified to allow
>> a set of triples outside of any '{'  '}' to be the same as triples in a
>> default anonymous graph?  It seems that even now, the rules allow
>> multiple anonymous graph productions, whose union would be the unnamed
>> graph.  It would be convenient if we could dispense with these anonymous
>> curly braces altogether if possible.
>
> Having implemented TriG yesterday on top of the Turtle parser, I must
> say that I was happily surprised that TriG does not allow for triples
> outside {}.  This means you can detect whether a document is a Turtle
> or TriG document at the first triple.

Why do you want to do that?      I'm imagining a world where people load
data by URL, not necessarily knowing if it's going to have named graphs
in it.

I'd think in a load_graph operation, you'd accept TriG as well, using
the default graph as the output graph.   Maybe have a flag about whether
to ignore or raise on error if there are some named graphs as well.

And in a load_dataset operations, I'd think you'd accept Turtle as well,
and just not get any named graphs out of it.

      -- Sandro