[RDF-CONCEPTS] Skolemization

From: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 13:18:46 -0400
To: public-rdf-comments <public-rdf-comments@w3.org>
I'd like to propose a small change in section on Skolemization:
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/default/rdf-concepts/index.html#section-skolemization

Regarding: "Systems wishing to do this SHOULD mint a new, globally
unique IRI (a Skolem IRI) for each blank node so replaced." it seems to
me that this conformance requirement should be a MUST -- not a SHOULD --
because the system has already made the free choice to skolemize.

Specific wording changes that I suggest:

1. Change:

     "Systems wishing to do this SHOULD mint a new, globally
     unique IRI (a Skolem IRI) for each blank node so replaced."

to:

     "Systems choosing to do this MUST mint a new, globally
     unique IRI (a Skolem IRI) for each blank node so replaced.
     Each such Skolem IRI SHOULD conform to the syntactic
     requirement for a well-known IRI [WELL-KNOWN] with the
     registered name genid. This is an IRI that uses the HTTP or
     HTTPS scheme, or another scheme that has been specified to
     use well-known IRIs; and whose path component starts with
     /.well-known/genid/."

2. Delete the paragraph:
[[
Systems that want Skolem IRIs to be recognizable outside of the system
boundaries should use a well-known IRI [WELL-KNOWN] with the registered
name genid. This is an IRI that uses the HTTP or HTTPS scheme, or
another scheme that has been specified to use well-known IRIs; and whose
path component starts with /.well-known/genid/.
]]

Thanks,
David