Re: Encouraging canonical serializations of datatypes in RDF

From: Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 17:56:02 +0100
Cc: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com>, public-rdf-comments@w3.org
To: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
On 2012-08-01, at 17:09, David Booth wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 10:10 -0400, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>> OK, both use cases are acknowledged.
>>
>> Given that there is a use case where the time zone is important, how can
>> suggesting only using Z when timezone is not important be any help to
>> application writers?
>
> Because using a fixed Z timezone simplifies applications for which
> xsd:datetime is only used to unambiguously encode a point in time -- not
> also a location.  Again, different applications have different needs.
>
> Just because this will not help *all* applications does not mean that it
> won't help *some* applications.

It *might* help some applications (ones that don't have a xsd:dateTime / ISO 8601 library, which should hopefully be rare), but it will prevent others from working at all. That doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

> The more we can make RDF manipulable by simple tools as often as
> possible the better, even if it cannot be done 100% of the time.

I agree, but I don't think this change would do that. It would move RDF further from XML, and make it very hard to use is some common situations.

- Steve

--
Steve Harris, CTO
Garlik, a part of Experian