Re: Encouraging canonical serializations of datatypes in RDF

From: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 12:09:36 -0400
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com>
Cc: public-rdf-comments@w3.org
On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 10:10 -0400, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
> OK, both use cases are acknowledged.
>
> Given that there is a use case where the time zone is important, how can
> suggesting only using Z when timezone is not important be any help to
> application writers?

Because using a fixed Z timezone simplifies applications for which
xsd:datetime is only used to unambiguously encode a point in time -- not
also a location.  Again, different applications have different needs.

Just because this will not help *all* applications does not mean that it
won't help *some* applications.

The more we can make RDF manipulable by simple tools as often as
possible the better, even if it cannot be done 100% of the time.

--
David Booth, Ph.D.
http://dbooth.org/

reflect those of his employer.