Re: please read before participating in translation scheme debate [Re: Translating DB values to RDF terms using 1) R2RML views and 2) using R2RML-native translation scheme]

On 12/14/11 4:44 PM, Souripriya Das wrote:
> Has anybody else looked at the "R2RML view" based translation scheme
> and examples in
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/rdb2rdf/wiki/Translating_Database_Values_to_RDF_Terms
>
> If not, please do. I'd very interested in what you think about use of
> just R2RML views for specifying translation info.
> The power of "R2RML views" may be sufficient in practice.
>
> Thanks,
> - Souri.

Souri,

Can't that same SQL statement be used to create normal SQL View that's
simply treated like a Table re. R2RML mapping? We support those
constructs in SQL and that's exactly what we recommend to our users
i.e., use the RDBMS engines SQL sophistication to create Views that are
then treated like Tables when it comes to the RDF Views mappings. The
same even applies to Stored Procedures which can also be treated as Views.

Our own native RDF Views language offers exactly the same thing using
different syntax. Thus, for compatibility sake re., interchange of R2RML
documents, it's best to localize DBMS specific functionality thereby
making conventional SQL Views (transient of materialized) or Tables the
targets of R2RML mappings.

Fundamentally, there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to exchange an
R2RML map with you and vice versa. Ditto anyone else that supports
R2RML. Simple scenario:

1. I attach Oracle to Virtuoso via and ODBC or JDBC data source name (DSN)
2. I generate a native RDF View based on the attached table
3. I export the RDF Views definitions via an R2RML mapping doc
4. Publish to a URL
5. You HTTP GET the resource at the aforementioned URL
6. Run it through your R2RML processor.
7. We end up with Resource URIs in different Data Spaces that expose the
same data.

1-7 is my basic acid test for R2ML when implementations become official.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder&  CEO