Re: Default Mapping and tomorrow's telcon

> Juan Sequeda
> www.juansequeda.com
>
> On Nov 3, 2010, at 7:25 PM, "Harry Halpin" <hhalpin@w3.org> wrote:
>
>>> I don't think that would be possible at this point. Marcelo and I have
>>> done substantial structural changes to Eric's document in our doc.
>>> Going
>>> back would be a waste of time. Besides, Richard has given us tons of
>>> comments which we are in the process of incorporating. So my original
>>> proposal still stands.
>>
>> Sorry, it needs to be possible by the next meeting. The WG needs you,
>> Eric, and Marcelo to work on a single document together, i.e. done with
>> single URI and CVS. How you three decide that is to be done has to be
>> done.
>>

>> Why not just mark "structural" difficulty in such a combined document?
>> It
>> seems this is what you are all doing with Section 2, i.e. you do in a
>> step-wise manner what Eric does with a few cases. Let's be clear that's
>> it's Section 2 of the document that is under contention, not the entire
>> document.
>>

> That's ok with me, if Eric is ok with it.
>
>> It will be *very* hard for the WG to correlate unless we know that both
>> of
>> you cover the same example and what are the alternate versions of text
>> and
>> example layout for the same material.
>>

> I don't think it would. Just read Eric's section 2 vs our section 2.
>
> But I'm ok with merging them now and follow your previous suggestion.
>
>> I'd suggest either you or Eric volunteer your document to be the
>> baseline
>> and let some merging commence. Yes, such a document will be unwieldy and
>> reconciling structure will be difficult, but if it's all in the same doc
>> the WG and wider community will have little trouble with review and
>> chosing the option.
>
> So it's either copy section 2 of ours to Eric's or vice-versa.
>
> Eric, what do you want to do.
>
> For the record, I think the way we have  been doing it with two doc is
> much better. But I guess we are under time pressure and can ask for
> another week.?.?.?

Ashok?

> But if the W3C staff wants it done this way, I guess we have to follow. We
> all need to coordinate our time and don't have time to waste

To be precise, the W3C staff serves the needs of the group, and with the
chair, attempts to keep the group on charter and schedule, not with what
"I" want.

The "please can't we edit one document" approach comes from the
operational agreement between the chair and both staff contacts that it
seems that having you, Eric, and Marcelo edit two documents is actually
going to take longer rather than have a single document, and the group
would like a FPWD sooner rather than later :) I apologize if that was not
clearer from the outset to those in the "semantic side-meeting" (I thought
it was re e-mail from Ashok), but I hope both you and Eric's efforts can
be preserved.