W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-rax@w3.org > June 2016

[Minutes] RAX CG 20160624

From: Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 13:43:04 +0200
To: public-rax@w3.org
Message-Id: <5B1FAF7F-5712-4AE9-8BAD-05929AC04C7A@w3.org>
See
https://www.w3.org/2016/06/24-rax-minutes.html
and below as text. Next call will be in two weeks at 2 p.m. CEST, 8 July.

- Felix

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                                 RAX CG

24 Jun 2016

   [2]Agenda

      [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rax/2016Jun/0007.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2016/06/24-rax-irc

Attendees

   Present
          axel, bernat, christian, cristoph, felix, john, labra_,
          philr, sergey

   Regrets
          florent

   Chair
          Christian

   Scribe
          fsasaki

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]roll call
         2. [6]intro
         3. [7]action points
         4. [8]topics to cover
         5. [9]aob
     * [10]Summary of Action Items
     * [11]Summary of Resolutions
     __________________________________________________________

roll call

   checking attendees ...

intro

   christian: welcome to the call, agenda has been sent out
   ... will look at action points, then use cases
   ... start with new members intro

   sergey: working for wolters kluwer
   ... I am solution architect, involved in semantic search
   implementation

   axel: at Univ. economics & business in Vienna
   ... doing semantic web research for 10-12 years
   ... was involved in paper with christian and felix in joint
   paper that also helped to create this CG
   ... involved in creation of XSParql, technology to combine RDF
   and XML processing

   christoph: from univ. bonn, Fraunhofer IAIS, several years
   exprience of translating XML > RDF
   ... want to develop something that works for as many XML input
   formats as possible
   ... deploying this in natural language analyis and industrie
   4.0 exchange formats

   johnS: working for mark logic
   ... implementing semantic features in mark logic in the last
   years
   ... seeing interesting use cases around the combined use of XML
   and RDF

   <clange> Links to software mentioned previously:
   [12]http://xsparql.deri.org/,
   [13]https://github.com/EIS-Bonn/krextor

     [12] http://xsparql.deri.org/,
     [13] https://github.com/EIS-Bonn/krextor

   johnS: working on technology to reflect RDF data out of the
   document, without any invisible change
   ... looking for collaboration related to XML and RDF

   bernat: working at @@@, small start up
   ... working on a new presentation of the bible, for combining
   the information we need combination of XML and RDF processing
   ... output format is also some kind of XML
   ... so we need roundtripping between XML and RDF

action points

   christian: want to gather informaton about existing tools etc.
   ... florent created github organization to gather the info
   ... now we need somebody who can add the info

   felix: propose to have 1-2 admin people and then everybody
   allow to add content

   christian: so florent + I will be admin, others can add stuff.
   That is a starting points

   <AxelPolleres> shall we use proposals in the W3C way, i.e.
   PROPOSED: … ?

   <scribe> ACTION: florent to allow everbody to add content to
   the rax github repo and have himself and christian as admin
   [recorded in
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2016/06/24-rax-minutes.html#action01]

     [14] http://www.w3.org/2016/06/24-rax-minutes.html#action01]

topics to cover

   christian: the group desription says: we want to cover concrete
   things
   ... chairs got two inputs
   ... both were addressing the data transformation back and forth
   (roundtripping)
   ... we need to make process as smooth as possible
   ... transformation question will always arise

   <AxelPolleres> data transformation … side note: interesting
   issue is the one concerning blank nodes in scripts (which
   currently re-surfaces in the SPARQL-dev list, BTW) anybody
   having an eye on that here?

   christian: another input yesterday from Martynas, see
   [15]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rax/2016Jun/000
   8.html

     [15] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rax/2016Jun/0008.html

   about an RDF/XML extension

   <AxelPolleres> RDF/XML in quads, interesting … what about
   JSON-LD is JSON-LD already quad/namedgraph ready?

   scribe: also the XML Prague paper
   [16]http://archive.xmlprague.cz/2016/files/xmlprague-2016-proce
   edings.pdf#page=133

     [16] http://archive.xmlprague.cz/2016/files/xmlprague-2016-proceedings.pdf#page=133

   axel: about the quad in RDF/XML or json-ld etc. - is that in
   scope too?

   christian: json is in scope too

   axel: a lot of discussion going on in the sparql-dev list on
   sparql features
   ... core of issue has to do with blank nodes
   ... also something we may look into

   <AxelPolleres> on this EXISTS blank node issue, here a link to
   the discussion…
   [17]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sparql-dev/2016
   AprJun/0039.html

     [17] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sparql-dev/2016AprJun/0039.html

   felix: may make sense to separate in discussion the use cases
   and tools, because there is a m:n relation between them

   christian: we need another round yet to get more details on the
   proposals, also collect more information
   ... I will share the input with the group and beyond, and ask
   them to share input - what they have
   ... concerning tools etc.
   ... we collect that in 10 days and structure that, so that we
   better know what topics to tackle

   felix: propose to have a template for use cases and also for
   tools, to make gathering easier

   christian: makes sense, will provide that tuesday next week -
   feel free to provide info before

   <scribe> ACTION: christian to provide use case and tool
   templates to the group [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2016/06/24-rax-minutes.html#action02]

     [18] http://www.w3.org/2016/06/24-rax-minutes.html#action02]

aob

   christian: last call we decided that suggestions of new topics
   / use cases etc. should be shared first with the chairs - but
   maybe it is better to share directly with the group
   ... the group will not be overwhelmed. so if something comes up
   you fill out the template and send it to the group

   +1

   <philr> +1

   <labra> +1

   bernat: can we use github for this?

   christian: yes, part of the process, but for a new idea just
   sending a mail should be ok

   bernat: ok

   christian: next AOB topic - please promote the group, within
   your organisation and beyond
   ... see this as a role to do that actively
   ... promote the group at conferences etc., so that the network
   grows
   ... last point: BDVA meeting, input from felix

   <clange> I'll be at EDF, CU there. (Do we have a list of EDF
   participants?)

   <philr> I will also be there

   john: on areas of work - for mark logic documents and XML and
   HTML are still the "forgotten part" of RDF
   ... RDF was designed to be built on top of docs
   ... so need to take the link between docs and RDF into account
   ... there is a fair amount of work to be done to augment sparql

   <clange> (With RDFa a bit of this view came back into
   mainstream)

   john: often people want to find documents looking at RDF, or
   the other way round

   felix: so retrieval scenario involving RDF and XML at the same
   time?

   john: a friend used the fact that there was RDFa markup in HTML
   - at the same time he processed parts of the document content
   ... you need a system that can handle both RDF and docs at the
   same time

   <clange> I'm also very much interested in this and have done
   previous research in the field of combining documents and RDF;
   cf. e.g.
   [19]http://www.semantic-web-journal.net/content/ontologies-and-
   languages-representing-mathematical-knowledge-semantic-web
   (application domain was STEM)

     [19] http://www.semantic-web-journal.net/content/ontologies-and-languages-representing-mathematical-knowledge-semantic-web

   john: you don't want to be forced to add (RDFa) labels to
   tables - you just want to be able to fetch the tables

   john, very interesting use case.

   christoph: at fraunhofer we are involved in the industrial data
   space initiatve, e.g. helping companies to exchange data
   ... in this context we are looking into industrie 4.0, there
   are a lot of XML standards

   christioph: we are working on re-implementing some of the
   standards in RDF - that needs translations between XML and RDF

   felix: preservation of XML workflows was emphasized by john - I
   think that is very important

   <clange> Industrial Data and Service Space:
   [20]http://www.industrialdataspace.org/ (secure information
   exchange, digitisation, data sovereignty). Currently a German
   national project, but there's a movement to scale it to the EU
   level

     [20] http://www.industrialdataspace.org/

   christoph: sure

   john: depending on how we design things, an approach can fulfil
   multiple purposes

   bernat: a third perspective on translation: creating a document
   from an RDF data store
   ... e.g. generate HTML from RDF data - this is also part of RDF
   to XML or SVG etc. conversion

   christian: thanks to all, next call will be in two weeks time,
   and then 2 p.m. CEST
   ... today was an exception
   ... minutes will be made available, I will send the template
   next week
   ... have a nice weekend, adjourned

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: christian to provide use case and tool templates
   to the group [recorded in
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2016/06/24-rax-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: florent to allow everbody to add content to the
   rax github repo and have himself and christian as admin
   [recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2016/06/24-rax-minutes.html#action01]

     [21] http://www.w3.org/2016/06/24-rax-minutes.html#action02
     [22] http://www.w3.org/2016/06/24-rax-minutes.html#action01

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]
     __________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [23]scribe.perl version
    1.144 ([24]CVS log)
    $Date: 2016/06/24 11:40:49 $
     __________________________________________________________

     [23] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [24] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

   [Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.144  of Date: 2015/11/17 08:39:34
Check for newer version at [25]http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/
scribe/

     [25] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: fsasaki
Inferring Scribes: fsasaki
Present: axel bernat christian cristoph felix john labra_ philr sergey
Regrets: florent
Agenda: [26]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rax/2016Jun/0007
.html
Got date from IRC log name: 24 Jun 2016
Guessing minutes URL: [27]http://www.w3.org/2016/06/24-rax-minutes.html
People with action items: christian florent

     [26] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rax/2016Jun/0007.html
     [27] http://www.w3.org/2016/06/24-rax-minutes.html


   [End of [28]scribe.perl diagnostic output]

     [28] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
Received on Friday, 24 June 2016 11:43:19 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Friday, 24 June 2016 11:43:20 UTC