RE: [F&O] fn:resolve-uri and non-hierarchical base URI

Rereading RFC 3986 it seems clear that relative URIs and relative URI resolution
works only for hierarchical URI schemes.  It says ...

"Some URI schemes do not allow a hierarchical syntax matching the
   <hier_part> syntax, and thus cannot use relative references."

And, as Colin points out, the base URI needs to be an absolute URI.

Thus, it seems to me that all we need to change in fn:resolve-URI
is to add the sentence from RFC 3986 quoted above.

All the best, Ashok