Re: [XSLT2.0]

I think it is OK.
There is some discrepancy between specs for fn:normalize-unicode
(according to the latest Draft) and the normalization-form attribute.
The  ?fully-normalized ? value of the   normalization-form attribute must
be supported . This normalization is not mandatory to implement for
fn:normalize-unicode.
The  ?fully-normalized ? mode could be difficult to implement.

Igor Hersht
XSLT Development
IBM Canada Ltd., 8200 Warden Avenue, Markham, Ontario L6G 1C7
Office D2-260, Phone (905)413-3240 ; FAX  (905)413-4839

             Henry
             Zongaro/Toronto/I
             BM                                                         To
                                       Igor Hersht/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
             03/27/2004 09:56                                           cc
             PM                        public-qt-comments@w3.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [XSLT2.0](Document link: Igor
                                       Hersht)

Igor,

     In [1], you submitted the following comment on the XSLT 2.0 and
Serialization last call drafts.

Igor Hersht wrote on 2004-01-11 05:01:13 PM:
> SUGGESTION 4:
> 20 Serialization normalize-unicode?  attribute of the xsl:output element
> Problem:
> Not clear which normalization forms to use. "NFC"?
> Why we should have "NFC" only, if we can support others as in
> fn:normalize-unicode?
>
> Solution:
> normalize-unicode? = string
> The attribute should follow the rules of the second
> argument($normalizationForm   )
> of the fn:normalize-unicode
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-operators/#func-normalize-unicode)

     Thank you for your comment.

     The XSL and XQuery Working Groups discussed your comment, and agreed
that the serialization parameter for Unicode normalization should be
aligned with the fn:normalize-unicode function and permit additional
normalization forms to be specified.  The working groups decided to make
the following changes to the definition of the normalize-unicode
serialization parameter:

1. Rename the parameter to "normalization-form".

2. The possible values of the parameter will be "NFC", "NFD", "NFKC",
"NFKD", "fully-normalized", "none" or an implementation-defined
normalization form.  The default value is "none".  We will also add
a note advising of the interoperability problems that can arise by
using anything other than NFC.

3. All of "NFC", "NFD", "NFKC", "NFKD", "fully-normalized", "none" and
any implementation-defined value are permitted for the xml, xhtml and
text output methods.  The values "NFC", "fully-normalized" and "none"
must be supported by an implementation for these output methods.

4. The normalization-form parameter is permitted to have the values
"NFC", "NFD", "NFKC", "NFKD", "none" or an implementation-defined value
if the output method is "html".  The values "NFC" and "none" must be
supported for the html output method.  The value "fully-normalized" is
not permitted if the output method is "html".

5. In the case of "fully-normalized", the normalization is the same as for
NFC, but the processor must signal a serialization error if any of the
"relevant constructs" of the result would begin with a combining
character.

     The XSL Working Group will also make the corresponding changes to the
xsl:output element in XSLT 2.0, replacing the normalize-unicode attribute
with a normalization-form attribute.

     May I ask you to confirm that this response is acceptable?

Thanks,

Henry
[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-qt-comments/2004Jan/0019.html