Re: ORA-SE-310-E: difficult sentence to parse

From: Henry Zongaro <zongaro@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 14:57:42 -0400
To: Stephen Buxton <Stephen.Buxton@oracle.com>
Cc: public-qt-comments@w3.org

Steve,

     In [1], you submitted the following comment on the Last Call Working
Draft of XSLT 2.0 and XQuery 1.0 Serialization.

Stephen Buxton wrote on 2004-02-17 06:44:21 AM:
> SECTION 4: XML output method
>
> Sixth open circle bullet: "Additional namespace nodes may be
> present in the new tree if the serialization process undeclared
> namespaces...".  On first reading, this sentence seemed
> ungrammatical.  The problem was that it felt like "the
> serialization" was the subject, and "process" was the verb,
> which should either be "processes" or "processed", and then
> "undeclared namespaces" would be the direct object.
> Rewording it as "Additional namespace nodes may be
> present in the new tree if the serialization process undeclared
> one or more namespaces..." might help.

     Thank you for pointing out the potential difficulty in parsing this
sentence.

     I have reworded the clause as follows:  "Additional namespace nodes
may be present in the new tree if the serialization process did not
undeclare one or more namespaces. . . ."  Note that "undeclared" has
become "did not undeclare" in response to a substantive comment.  I hope
you will find that the new version is not so difficult to parse.

Thanks,

Henry
[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-qt-comments/2004Feb/0933.html