ORA-SE-315-Q: How can character expansion create new nodes?

From: Stephen Buxton <Stephen.Buxton@oracle.com>
Date: 17 Feb 04 11:43:31
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org

SECTION 4: XML output method

Final bullet says "Additional nodes may be present in the new tree
.. due to the character expansion phase of serialization."
Could you please give an example of how character expansion can
cause new nodes?  I don't see how any of the four kinds of
character expansion (URI escaping, CDATA sections, character
mapping, special character references) can cause a new node.
While these character expansions might change the physical
presentation of a text node, I don't see how they can cause one
text node to become two text nodes, for example.

- Steve B.