ORA-XQ-147-B: difficulty interpreting ws:significant

From: Stephen Buxton <Stephen.Buxton@oracle.com>
Date: 16 Feb 04 13:30:16
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org

SECTION A.2.1: white space rules

If an EBNF rule is marked as /* ws:significant */, it seems that
it must apply to all the 'child' EBNF productions.  For example,
rule [109] ElementContent is marked as /* ws:significant */,
which means that all whitespace is significant in ElementContent,
and that must mean that all whitespace is significant in
anything on the right hand side of rule [109].  But what about
EnclosedExpr?  Once you go into an enclosed expression, I think
that whitespace should be insignificant again.  If you say that
/* ws:significant */ only pertains to the production on which it
appears, and not to any nonterminals found on the right hand side,
then I have two questions: 1) How do I know which whitespace is
governed by the note, since S almost never appears on the right
hand side of these rules; and 2) why is rule [109] labeled this way,
since the right hand side consists only of a list of alternative
terminals and non-terminals?  Similar remarks apply to rule
[112] QuotAttrValueContent and rule [113] aposAttrValueContent.

- Steve B.