[XPath] Incompatibilities with XPath 1.0

From: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:16:41 -0500
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org

I'm quite frightened by the long list of incompatibilities
(even despite a special compatibility switch) between XPath 1.0
and XPath 2.0. Each of these items seems to be small, but overall,
this has a large potential for confusion, subtle errors, and so on.
Not a big problem for a spec, but a potential nightmare for deployment.

My guess is that to avoid this, implementations will probably
implement both XPath 1.0 and XPath 2.0. If that's the case,
it would be easier to make the compatibility switch switch
all features, rather than just part of them. Bringing
XPath 1.0 and 2.0 closer together would be even better.

Regards,   Martin.