Re: [Serial] I18N WG last call comments

From: Henry Zongaro <zongaro@ca.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:59:23 -0400
To: w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org, duerst@w3.org
Cc: public-qt-comments@w3.org

Hello,

     In [1], Martin Duerst submitted the following comment on the Last
Call Working Draft of XSLT 2.0 and XQuery 1.0 Serialization on behalf of
the I18N Working Group.

> [17] Section 4.2 (XML output method, encoding): "When outputting a
newline
>    character in the data model, the implementation is free to represent
>    it using any character sequence that will be normalized to a newline
>    character by an XML parser,...": This should probably says that
>    for interoperability, it is better to avoid x85 and x2028.

     In [2], Michael Kay responded:

> I don't see a specific need to say that: if you're generating XML 1.0
> then you need to avoid these characters and if you're generating XML 1.1
> then you don't. This seems to be covered by the statement as written.

     Thanks to Martin and the I18N Working Group for this comment.

     The XSL and XQuery Working Groups discussed the comment, and agreed
with Michael Kay that the statement regarding the representation of
newline characters in the serialized document was correct as written, and
that no change is required.

     May I ask the I18N Working Group to confirm that this response is
acceptable?

Thanks,

Henry [On behalf of the XSL and XQuery Working Groups.]
[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-qt-comments/2004Feb/0362.html
[2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-qt-comments/2004Feb/0401.html