RE: Namespace prefixes for functions and operators considered confusing

At 11:23 PM -0800 11/15/03, Michael Rys wrote:
>The functions in XPath 1.0/XSLT 1.0 already use the notion of namespaces
>for scoping function libraries. Since we need such a mechanism and need
>to be backwards compatible with XPath 1.0/XSLT 1.0, there is really no
>other choice. The reason that op: is specially handled is because these
>functions are not accessible and are only used for definitional use.

XSLT 1.0 uses these only for extension functions, not for built-in
functions. Furthermore, for extension functions XSLT does use the
in-scope namespaces as declared on the elements. Neither of these
applies here. We're talking about built-in functions in XSLT
2.0/XQuery, and furthermore the prefix fn is not actually used in
XSLT stylesheets, XQuery queries, and presumably not in other
yet-to-be-invented uses of XPath 2.0 either.

I reiterate:

1. The XPath 2.0 built-in functions are not in a namespace.
2. There is nothing in the namespaces specification that in any way
allows functions to be placed in a namespace.
3. There is nothing in an XSLT 2.0 stylesheet or an XQuery query that
in any way suggests that the functions are in a namespace.

And therefore, the verbiage in the functions and operators draft
claiming that these functions are in a namespace is untrue,
unhelpful, and unnecessary. It should be removed.

--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu