RE: TR/xquery-operators/#func-doc

Let's try to be clear what the situation is.

The doc() function will be available in all three languages, XPath 2.0, XSLT
2.0, and XQuery 1.0.

The document() function is retained for backwards compatibility, and is
available only in XSLT.

Of course it would have been nicer to avoid the situation where two similar
functions are available to XSLT users. But the alternatives were:

(a) imposing the historical baggage of the document() function on XQuery
users
(b) making XPath incompatible with XQuery

and both of these are, I think, clearly worse than the solution we have
chosen.

If there is lack of clarity in the documents, I suspect it is in the
description of the convoluted history of this decision, which will disappear
in the final specifications.