W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-qt-comments@w3.org > May 2003

RE: /WD-xpath-datamodel-20030502/

From: Kay, Michael <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 04:36:45 +0200
Message-ID: <DFF2AC9E3583D511A21F0008C7E62106073DCE21@daemsg02.software-ag.de>
To: David.Pawson@rnib.org.uk, mrys@microsoft.com, public-qt-comments@w3.org

Dave, I think you are misreading Michael Rys' comments about XSLT. I think
that all he is saying is that he doesn't know what's in the XSLT
specification because he is not on the XSL Working Group and hasn't studied
it in detail.

The XSLT specification does have a few additional things to say about the
data model (in section 3), though this section has become a lot smaller in
recent drafts.

It's not clear to me what point you are trying to make.

Michael Kay



> -----Original Message-----
> From: David.Pawson@rnib.org.uk [mailto:David.Pawson@rnib.org.uk] 
> Sent: 12 May 2003 08:43
> To: mrys@microsoft.com; public-qt-comments@w3.org
> Subject: RE: /WD-xpath-datamodel-20030502/
> 
> 
> 
> From which I may deduce that the data model is then 
> incomplete for XSLT+XPATH?
> 
> I make the assumption that XSLT is incomplete without xpath.
> 
> That may be fine for the xquery people, I find it puzzling
> from an XSLT perspective?
> 
> 
> Perhaps the document title is wrong?
> 
> regards DaveP
> 
> 
> 
> 
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Michael Rys [mailto:mrys@microsoft.com]
> > Sent: 09 May 2003 20:40
> > To: David.Pawson@rnib.org.uk; public-qt-comments@w3.org
> > Subject: RE: /WD-xpath-datamodel-20030502/
> > 
> > 
> > The wording says it is outside of the scope of the data 
> model document 
> > and I think that's where it belongs. However, the XSLT spec may say 
> > that you have to represent certain information in the data 
> model and 
> > thus make this part of the scope of the XSLT spec...
> > 
> > Best regards
> > Michael
> > 
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: David.Pawson@rnib.org.uk [mailto:David.Pawson@rnib.org.uk]
> > > Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 7:22 AM
> > > To: public-qt-comments@w3.org
> > > Subject: /WD-xpath-datamodel-20030502/
> > > 
> > > 
> > > <quote>
> > > 3.7 Comments, Processing Instructions, and Whitespace 
> Although the 
> > > data model is able to represent comments, processing 
> instructions, 
> > > and insignificant whitespace, preservation of this information
> > > may be unnecessary and onerous for some applications.
> > > 
> > > An instance of the data model can be constructed from an 
> Infoset, a
> > PSVI,
> > > or
> > > from some other data source entirely. Different 
> applications may or
> > may
> > > not
> > > choose to construct nodes in the data model to represent 
> comments, 
> > > processing instructions, and insignificant white space. These
> > decisions
> > > are
> > > considered outside the scope of the data model.
> > Consequently the data
> > > model
> > > makes no attempt to control or identify the sort of
> > processing in this
> > > regard that an application uses to construct a data model 
> instance. 
> > > </quote>
> > > 
> > > 
> > > I am concerned about the 'may' in the first para, wrt XSLT
> > applications.
> > > 
> > > I'd hope they would be required to be processed in an xslt
> > application;
> > > If such an application is using this data model, then how
> > can that be
> > > enforced?
> > > 
> > > E.g. I'd hope that the determination of the significance of white
> > space is
> > > the choice of the end user.
> > > 
> > > Hence I disagree with this being outside the scope of this
> > data model.
> > > 
> > > regards DaveP
> > > AC RNIB.
> > > 
> > > 
> > > **** snip here ****
> > > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > > 
> > > Regards DaveP.
> > > 
> > > **** snip here *****
> > > 
> > > -
> > > 
> > > NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any
> > attachments is
> > > confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the 
> > > intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use, 
> > > disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's
> > content. If
> > > you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender 
> > > immediately and then delete the email and any attachments 
> from your 
> > > system.
> > > 
> > > RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any 
> > > attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses.
> > However, it
> > > cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are 
> > > transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.
> > > 
> > > Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email 
> > > and any attachments are those of the author and do not 
> necessarily 
> > > represent those of RNIB.
> > > 
> > > RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227
> > > 
> > > Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk
> > 
> 
> - 
> 
> NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any 
> attachments is 
> confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the 
> intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use, 
> disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If 
> you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender 
> immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your 
> system.
> 
> RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any 
> attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it 
> cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are 
> transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.
> 
> Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email 
> and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily 
> represent those of RNIB.
> 
> RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227
> 
> Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk 
> 
Received on Monday, 12 May 2003 22:40:35 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 27 March 2012 18:14:24 GMT