Nil should not require validity

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 10:04:14 -0400
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org

Section 4.3.3. of the Data Model draft states:

     If the [validity] property exists and is "valid" and the
[attributes] property contains an attribute with the local-name "nil"
and the namespace URI "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance",
then "true", otherwise "false".

I do not see why validity should be required for an element to be
nil. The mere presence of the xsi:nil="true" attribute should be
sufficient. Or just maybe it should also be required that the element
be empty. However, there's no reason it needs to be valid. I have
profitably used xsi:nil in documents without any schema or DTD.

I suggest deleting the phrase "the [validity] property exists and is
"valid" and "
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu