RE: Nil should not require validity

This would lead to severe inconsistencies and a slow creeping
XSD-ification of XML using one of the worst features of XSD.

Any attribute of the namespace associated with xsi can only have its
special impact on the data model through validation. Anything else will
lead to problems.

Best regards
Michael