Re: xsl:function: removal of xsl:result

From: Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 11:28:25 +0200
To: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
CC: public-qt-comments@w3.org

Hi Jeni

>>The xsl:result inside functions added a lot of expressive clarity,
>>which the current replacement xsl:sequence doesn't offer, IMHO.
>>
>>Why the change?
>>
> Now that we have sequence construction in XSLT 2.0 (rather than just
> in XPath 2.0), there's no longer a technical requirement for
> <xsl:result> -- the same effect can be achieved using <xsl:sequence>.

Yes I know (already updated my XSLTs). I just miss the expressive
clarity: When reading a func def, one could look for the xsl:result
element to see which result the function returns.

> In addition, we don't have an <xsl:result> in template definitions, so
> it seemed consistent to remove it from function definitions as well.

You could just as well have added xsl:result to templates as well :)
(except for backwards compatibility)

Anyways: It's just a minor point regarding readability of code, not one
regarding functionality.

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/