XPath/XQuery/Data Model : Data Model Inconsistency?

From: <Svgdeveloper@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 12:03:15 EDT
To: public-qt-comments@w3.org

I am trying to put a few statements together and, at the moment at least,
they don't quite add up for me.

In XPath Chapter 2 it is stated, "Each node has a unique node identity."

In Data Model Chapter 6 it is stated, "A sequence has no identity".

In XPath Chapter 2 it is stated, "An item is identical to a singleton
sequence containing that item."

However, if the item in a singleton sequence is a node then it seems that the
sequence with a single node has no identity. However if the node exists "on
its own", as it were, it does have identity. ... If you see what I mean. :)

Is there an inconsistency? Or have I missed a caveat somewhere?

Perhaps the seeming problem can be solved by adding some judicious qualifying
phrase in an appropriate place?

Andrew Watt