Re: local functions and variables

At 01:02 AM 8/26/2003, Per Bothner wrote:

>The new 'local' predefined namespace prefix hints at the possibility of
>module-location definitions, but isn't quite there.  But only a few minor
>changes would be needed:
>
>To: "The names of all variables and functions declared in a library module
>must be explicitly qualified by the target namespace prefix"
>(in 4.1) add "or the predefined 'local" namespace prefix."
>
>To section 4.7 Module Import add somewhere somethinga like: "Any variable
>or functions declarations using the prefix 'local' in the module to be
>imported are not imported.  Such definitions are only visible within the
>library module, and never confict with definitions in other modules."

This is an excellent observation - I like this idea, and I will raise it in
the Working Group.

One word of warning: there's a pretty strong feeling that we want to be
done with XQuery as soon as we can, and there's some resistance to adding
anything not essential at this point. But if we wanted to go this route, we
would need to do it in XQuery 1.0.

Jonathan