RE: [F/O] backreferences in regexen

I'm personally sympathetic to this requirement, though with some
reservations about feature creep.

/0288.html
(more sample output is at
http://www.pinkjuice.com/howto/vimxml/setup.xml#catalogs)

[langs]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-qt-comments/2003May/0298.html

[sed]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-qt-comments/2003May/0307.html

[additions]
http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-operators/#regex-syntax
"The regular expression syntax and semantics for these functions are
identical to those defined in [XML Schema Part 2: Datatypes] with the
following additions:
[...]
Two meta-characters, ^ and $ are added. In string mode, the
metacharacter ^ matches the start of the entire string, while $ matches
the end of the entire string.
[...]"

[mk]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-qt-comments/2003May/0294.html