RE: F&O Question about extraction from negative date/duration va lues

From: Kay, Michael <Michael.Kay@softwareag.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 17:53:05 +0200
To: Natalie Gordon <nfg@decisionsoft.com>, public-qt-comments@w3.org

> I've made the assumption that extracting from a negative
> yearMonthDuration, dayTimeDuration, dateTime, and date
> returns a negative
> value (as opposed to the component's absolute value).  Is
> that a correct
> assumption?

I believe it's correct for durations but not for absolute dates and
dateTimes. In the latter case, I think the months value for a negative year
should still be positive, because it represents the number of months AFTER
the start of the year, so month 2 is later than month 1 regardless whether
the year is negative or positive. Only the year value should be signed.

You are quite right to point out that the spec needs to make a clear
statement on this.

Michael Kay

http://www.decisionsoft.com
Pathan Open Source XPath 2:		  http://software.decisionsoft.com