Re: Slow validations on some doctypes

From: Jaime Iniesta <jaimeiniesta@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2012 14:21:23 +0100
To: Etienne Miret <etienne.miret@ens-lyon.org>
Cc: public-qa-dev@w3.org
So, the specified DTD for the doctype on the URL that I'm trying to
validate does seem to exist, but the w3.org takes a lot of time to
return it:

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/DTD/xhtml-rdfa-2.dtd

I have tried adding it to my local DTD library, and editing the
catalog.xml file to link to it with this line:

<public publicId="-//W3C//DTD XHTML+RDFa 1.1//EN"
uri="REC-rdfa-syntax-20081014/xhtml-rdfa-2.dtd" />

But still, it does not fix anything. Surely I'm missing something, I
don't really know how this DTD works.

So, my guess is that http://validator.w3.org is running with a more
complete DTD library that the one that can be downloaded from
http://validator.w3.org/docs/install.html#install-download, and that's
why it takes so long on my local install: my DTD library does not
include this doctype, and the w3.org needs a lot of time to respond.

What do you think? How can we fix this?

Thank you.