Re: DVCS status?

From: Ville Skyttä <ville.skytta@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 19:51:50 +0300
To: public-qa-dev@w3.org
Cc: "Jean-Guilhem Rouel" <jean-gui@w3.org>, "Dominique Hazael-Massieux" <dom@w3.org>, tgambet@w3.org, Alexandre Bertails <bertails@w3.org>
On Friday 11 June 2010, Jean-Guilhem Rouel wrote:
> Le 10/06/2010 11:58, Dominique Hazael-Massieux a écrit :
> > Le mercredi 09 juin 2010 à 23:24 +0300, Ville Skyttä a écrit :
> >>    I'd be interested in moving validator and link checker
> >>
> >> development to Mercurial (or Git, if available)...
> >
> > I'm copying Jean-Gui and Thomas on this, hoping they might have feedback
> > on the feasibility / possible timeline of doing this — I know we've also
> > started experimenting with setting up Trac to be coupled with some of
> > these Mercurial repositories, and this may also be relevant to that
> > discussion.
>
> Converting from CVS to Mercurial worked well for Unicorn and is quite
> easy to do. Alexandre would have to create the Mercurial repository
> first, but I think he needs a group of allowed "pushers". I am going to
> request a new repository linked to a new group.
>
> About Trac, we are not yet ready to deploy it, but once it is, I'll
> contact you, Ville.

Ok, thanks.

One related request in case someone who can do something about is listening:

Could the subject of the commit messages include information about the
project/repository things were committed in?  Currently they look like
"commit: $description" but it'd be easier to spot messages related to
projects/repos one's interested in if they looked for example like "$project
commit: $description", e.g. instead of "commit: restricted validation to
public IP", say "unicorn commit: restricted validation to public IP"