Re: [idea] cssdiff

From: Damien B <night.kame@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 23:37:38 +0100
To: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>, "public-qa-dev@w3.org list" <public-qa-dev@w3.org>
CC: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>, Jean-Guilhem Rouel <jean-gui@w3.org>

Hello,

I looked a bit at the Java countryside, there is not much too see (which
seems natural given the history of that kind of tools).

> 1) a CSS parser. Ideally somewhat fault tolerant, at least tolerant to
> a good number of typos

Not much to see outside of the W3's one.

> 2) your parser should be able to serialize what it parsed in a
> normalized way. (whatever the normalization)

W3's one output a cleaned diff, but I can't remember if it's a
normalized one (some people here know that for sure).

> 3) diff on the above. Voila!

GNU diff implemented in Java, GPL.
http://www.bmsi.com/java/#diff

GPL as well
http://potiron.loria.fr/projects/jlibdiff

SyntEvo Sequence, BSD-like with attribution
http://svn.svnkit.com/repos/svnkit/trunk/contrib/sequence/

> The highlighting

Highlighting in the (*ahem*) pre-proto CSS Validator GUI is done
manually. One thing to mention is that there are no device-independant
highlighter that I know of, most of them are targetted to HTML. So, if
the output is HTML, and since highlighting is (almost) only interesting
to people without visual disabilities, I think that the higlighting can
be safely done in Javascript (like SHJS (GPL)
http://shjs.sourceforge.net/ ).

Damien B