Re: [idea] cssdiff

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 11:16:21 -0500
Cc: Jean-Guilhem Rouel <jean-gui@w3.org>, "public-qa-dev@w3.org list" <public-qa-dev@w3.org>
To: Karl Dubost <karl+w3c@la-grange.net>

Hi Karl, all

I still like the idea of a css diff tool. Spending a bit of time now
and then researching solutions.

On 23-Jan-09, at 3:24 PM, olivier Thereaux wrote:
> What you need is:
>
> 1) a CSS parser. Ideally somewhat fault tolerant, at least tolerant
> to a good number of typos

python: http://code.google.com/p/cssutils/
perl: http://search.cpan.org/~bjoern/CSS-SAC-0.06/SAC.pm
java: http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/css-validator/org/w3c/css/parser/

I looked at javascript parsers too, since there is also an ongoing
discussion about that idea.
So far I found a couple of tentative projects:
http://youngisrael-stl.org/wordpress/2007/10/19/css-parser-in-javascript/
http://www.senocular.com/index.php?id=1.289
... worth testing. I think I'll play with both this week.

> 2) your parser should be able to serialize what it parsed in a
> normalized way. (whatever the normalization)
>
> 3) diff on the above. Voila!

Note that python has a fairly advanced diff lib.
http://docs.python.org/library/difflib.html
 and in an effort to not reinvent the wheel, note that open source
project viewvc has both some source diff and syntax highlighting
capabilities. The highlighting is done with http://pygments.org/ lib.