Re: Differences in layout between validators

Le lundi 07 avril 2008 à 08:26 -0400, olivier Thereaux a écrit :
> > * the tabs in the CSS validator reads "Validate by...", while the
> > markup validator only reads "By ..."
>
> I personally loathe the "validate by" repeated 4 times. In a first
> installment it was "by ...", as a way of following the tagline
> Check the markup
>    ... by URI
>    ... etc
>
> Some people adamantly argued that this was bad for accessibility.

(I'm sure the accessibility argument can be worked around with the use
of the title attribute on the <legend> tag if needed)

> > * there is more space between "More options" and the check button in
> > the CSS Validator than in the Markup validator
>
> Which browser?

Both in Firefox 2 and Opera 9.27.

> > (as another aside, I'm not sure that using "URI" is very user-
> > friendly;
> > "Web address" or "Page address" might be more largely understood)
>
> I don't think anybody complained about this,

[I think most people don't complain about things, esp. about things they
don't understand :) ]

>  especially since the "By
> URI" is the default view and the label for the URI field says
> "address". So, hopefully this is a painless way to "educate" about the
> term "URI"?

But I'm not sure there is a big value for the users of validators to
learn about the term URI, if the more layman version "address" is
working for them.

In fact, I think the best label would be "Validate online documents" (as
you describe it just below), but it may not fit so well with the rest of
the tabs... Anyway, that's really a very minor point.

Dom